Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Late-night talk shows coming back after going dark for 5 months due of writers strike -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Late-night talk shows coming back after going dark for 5 months due of writers strike
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:25:16
Los Angeles — Late-night talk shows are NovaQuantreturning after a five-month absence brought on by the Hollywood writers strike, while actors will begin talks that could end their own long work walk-off.
CBS's " The Late Show With Stephen Colbert," ABC's " Jimmy Kimmel Live! " and NBC's " The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" were the first shows to leave the air when the writers strike began on May 2, and now will be among the first to return on Monday night.
Comedian John Oliver got his first take on the strike out, exuberantly returning Sunday night to his "Last Week Tonight" show on HBO and delivering full-throated support for the strike.
Oliver cheerily delivered a recap of stories from the last five months before turnings serious, calling the strike "an immensely difficult time" for all those in the industry.
"To be clear, this strike happened for good reasons. Our industry has seen its workers severely squeezed in recent years," Oliver said. "So, the Writers Guild went to strike and thankfully won. But, it took a lot of sacrifices from a lot of people to achieve that."
"I am also furious that it took the studios 148 days to achieve a deal they could have offered on day (expletive) one," Oliver said. He added that he hopes the writers contract would give leverage to other entertainment industry guilds - as well as striking auto workers and employees in other industries - to negotiate better deals.
Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns HBO, is among the studios on the other side of the table in the writers and actors strikes.
Network late-night hosts will have their returns later Monday.
Colbert will have Astrophysicist and author Neil deGrasse Tyson on his first show back. Kimmel will host Arnold Schwarzenegger. Matthew McConaughey will be on Fallon's couch.
All the hosts will surely address the strike in their monologues.
"I'll see you Monday, and every day after that!" an ebullient Colbert said in an Instagram video last week from the Ed Sullivan Theater, which was full of his writers and other staffers for their first meeting since spring.
The hosts haven't been entirely idle. They teamed up for a podcast, "Strike Force Five," during the strike.
The writers were allowed to return to work last week after the Writers Guild of America reached an agreement on a three-year contract with an alliance of the industry's biggest studios, streaming services and production companies.
Union leaders touted the deal as a clear win on issues including pay, size of staffs and the use of artificial intelligence that made the months off worth it. The writers themselves will vote on the contract in a week of balloting that begins Monday.
Meanwhile, the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists will begin negotiations with the same group, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, for the first time since they joined writers in a historic dual strike on July 14.
Actors walked off the job over many of the same issues as writers, and SAG-AFTRA leaders said they would look closely at the gains and compromises of the WGA's deal, but emphasized that their demands would remain the same as they were when the strike began.
It was just five days after writers and studios resumed talks that a deal was reached and that strike ended, though an attempt to restart negotiations a month earlier broke off after a few meetings.
The late-night shows will have significant limits on their guest lists. Their bread and butter, actors appearing to promote projects, will not be allowed to appear if the movies and shows are for studios that are the subject of the strikes.
But exceptions abound. McConaughey, for example, is appearing with Fallon to promote his children's book, "Just Because."
And SAG-AFTRA has granted interim agreements allowing actors to work on many productions, and with that comes the right of actors to publicly promote them.
Editor's note: Paramount Pictures is one of the studios that was involved in the WGA negotiations and is involved in the SAG-AFTRA talks. Paramount Pictures and CBS News are both part of Paramount Global. Some CBS News staff are SAG-AFTRA members but their contracts are not affected by the that strike.
- In:
- Strike
veryGood! (4544)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Medical King recalls 222,000 adult bed assistance rails after one reported death
- Japan to resume V-22 flights after inquiry finds pilot error caused accident
- Mother of Man Found Dead in Tanning Bed at Planet Fitness Gym Details His Final Moments
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Today’s Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker and More React to Craig Melvin Replacing Hoda Kotb as Co-Anchor
- Stop What You're Doing—Moo Deng Just Dropped Her First Single
- J.Crew Outlet Quietly Drops Their Black Friday Deals - Save Up to 70% off Everything, Styles Start at $12
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Up to 20 human skulls found in man's discarded bags, home in New Mexico
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Hurricane-stricken Tampa Bay Rays to play 2025 season at Yankees’ spring training field in Tampa
- Reese Witherspoon's Daughter Ava Phillippe Introduces Adorable New Family Member
- Today Reveals Hoda Kotb's Replacement
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Atlanta man dies in shootout after police chase that also kills police dog
- Florida State can't afford to fire Mike Norvell -- and can't afford to keep him
- Kyle Richards Swears This Holiday Candle Is the Best Scent Ever and She Uses It All Year
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Craig Melvin replacing Hoda Kotb as 'Today' show co-anchor with Savannah Guthrie
Mike Tyson concedes the role of villain to young foe in 58-year-old’s fight with Jake Paul
The Best Gifts for Men – That He Won’t Want to Return
Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
Worker trapped under rubble after construction accident in Kentucky
USMNT Concacaf Nations League quarterfinal Leg 1 vs. Jamaica: Live stream and TV, rosters
Giuliani’s lawyers after $148M defamation judgment seek to withdraw from his case